Follow _CabinGirl on Twitter

Monday, November 12, 2012

First Snow of Season

I awoke this morning to fluffy white flakes drifting by my bedroom window. Overall, maybe 1-2" of snow cover on the ground. Just enough to make it pretty outside.

Took a break from work this afternoon to enjoy the birds in snow. We have a couple White-throated Sparrows still hanging around. This one was tucked back in one of our brush piles  - could just barely see it through all the tall grass.


Juncos are plentiful and this one was munching away on seed heads from a wild aster right outside our living room window:


Throughout our acreage we leave several brush piles for the birds to use. They provide cover and roosting spots for the birds and are always busy places:


This junco has quite a bit of reddish brown on it. I got a better look while it took the time to scratch and preen:


So glad snow is here!

6 comments:

  1. I also posted a sparrow today. I like to see all that I can learn from sparrows, as they are not easy to identify. The first one has a very nice effect of foreground bokeh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome capture of that Junco preening!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't the first snow of the year simply lovely? Thanks for sharing yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have got the same burds..but not such lively photos! I especially like the Junco w/ the light in it's eye! Well dobe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, just blog hopping and found yours. I love your birds and photos. Great post!r

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks much, Eileen. I just visited your blog - it's beautiful! Looking forward to following you.

      Delete